A remortgage is classified as a procedure that involves the replacement of a mortgage that already exists with an entirely new mortgage loan from a new lender. One a remortgage is instituted; it is the responsibility of the new lender to satisfy the previous mortgage loan with regard to the old mortgage lender. There exist many ways in which an individual can acquire a remortgage, which differ on a case by case basis.
Remortgage vs. Refinancing
While the two terms sound similar, they are in fact extremely different in nature and function.
• A remortgage is a method in which an individual borrower can replace an existing mortgage with a new mortgage; this can take place for a variety of reasons. However, the primary reasoning for many individuals engaging in remortgages are the discovery of a mortgage loan latent with lower payments, better APR rates; simply put, the new mortgage resulting in a remortgage might just be a better fit for the borrower.
• Refinancing is the extension – or act of borrowing against – an existing mortgage loan from the same mortgage lender and/or provider. As a result of refinancing, the individual borrower can be eligible to receive lower mortgage payments.
Remortgages and Equity
The prospect of utilizing the remortgage process in order to increase equity is not uncommon in the real estate market. Upon gradual satisfaction of a mortgage loan, monies paid towards the fulfillment of a mortgage loan can be considered equity.
How to Remortgage
In order to be approved for a remortgage, and individual will be required to present similar information as was requested upon the application for the initial mortgage. Some examples of information that will be requested by a remortgage lender will be current household income, debts, expenses, and other financial state of affair; this is in tandem with an expressed report of the current state of the previous mortgage.
1. A valuation of the individual’s home will be required, as well. This entails a full inspection, as well as an evaluation by an appraiser. The results rendered from this process will dictate the value parameters of the remortgage loan rate.
2. There are certain fees that might accompany a remortgage; these fees include those paid to the new lender in the form of filing and application fees. In addition, the employment of an accountant and/or legal specialist with regard to review of the remortgage terms can be incurred, as well.
3. The average amount of time that is required for both the application and approval process for a remortgage ranges between a month and a month and a half; however, there do exist exceptions in the form(s) of expedited remortgage programs in which lenders will push the request processing as priority.
The parameters and protocols surrounding both the application and approval process of a remortgage vary on an individual basis and in conjunction with the borrower’s respective state of affairs; all remortgage forms should be completed to the fullest extent in a meticulous fashion.
In the event that an individual experiences difficulty completing – or understanding – the requirements of a remortgage, they are encouraged to consult an attorney specializing in real estate, property, finance, and contracts.